Havelock School began life in April 1937 as the Carr Lane County School. It was classified as a co-educational elementary school and catered for pupils from the aged of five to fourteen. The 4.13 acres of land on which the original school stood had been purchased by the Council in the late 1920s and had been earmarked for “educational purposed”. The decision to build a school on the land was made in 1933 so as to provide a school for an area of the town which was rapidly developing as a desirable residential area and to reduce pressure on Harold Street and Welholme Road Schools. The plans for the new school, drawn up by the architect William Wells of Osborne Street, Grimsby were submitted to the Education Committee in 1934 and the contract to build the school was put out to tender. In September 1934 the Education Committee recommended that the tender of Messers. R.M.Phillips of Brigg be accepted, and approval was sought from the Board of Education. The original tender of £42,230 , however was rejected by the board, and Phillips’ submitted a new tender of £31,250. With the cost of furniture and fittings, architects’ and surveyors’ fees and legal expenses, the project cost of building the new school was estimated to be £35,830.

The Education Committee accepted the new tender in April 1935 and ths time the Board of Education gave its approval. Building began later in the year and the foundation stone was laid on the 23rd July 1936 . The School was finally opened on 7th April 1937 and received its first intake six days later at the beginning of the new term. 

Carr Lane elementary school was opened on 7th April 1937 and cost £ 31,250 to build. It had two head teachers accommodated 720 students and was both a junior and senior school. The new school represented the most up to date ideas in elementary education with nothing quite like it in the district.

Carr Lane elementary school was opened on 7th April 1937 and cost £ 31,250 to build. It had two head teachers accommodated 720 students and was both a junior and senior school. The new school represented the most up to date ideas in elementary education with nothing quite like it in the district.

In 1987 the school held a Jubilee week with a disco organized by students. Fashion show organized by Parents Association by Davis's of Wingate Parade.